- Inside this Issue:
- Get a Quote
- Love Your Immune System With Food
- Make Your Lifestyle Eco-Friendly
- Small Business Branding Tips
- 7 Unexpected Benefits of Losing Weight
Love Your Immune System With Food
Keep your year in full swing by staving off colds, the flu and other seasonal ailments. Foods can be your first line of defense in keeping your immune system strong and healthy. A healthy immune system protects the body against viruses and bacteria. A great way to help keep your immune system healthy is to avoid smoking, exercise regularly, get enough sleep, reduce stress and eat a diet that’s rich in immune-boosting fruits and vegetables. Almost all fruits and vegetables work to boost the immune system. Care2.com published the following list of the top ten immune boosting foods.
Rich in the immune-boosting mineral, zinc, beets are a great addition to your diet. Beets are also a rich source of prebiotics, the foods eaten by probiotics, or beneficial microbes, in your intestines. Add them to fresh juice, grate and add to salads and sandwiches, or roast and enjoy on their own.
Blueberries are packed with nutrients known as flavonoids that give them their color and taste. Research in the journal Advances in Nutrition shows that flavonoids boost the immune system. Eat fresh blueberries on their own or atop salads or added to smoothies. Frozen blueberries that have been slightly thawed taste like blueberry sorbet and make a delicious dessert.
Grapefruit, lemons, limes, oranges and other citrus fruit are excellent sources of immune-boosting vitamin C. Eat them, juice them or add them to salads or salad dressings.
Flaxseeds and Flaxseed Oil
Flaxseeds and flaxseed oil contain the essential fatty acids known as Omega 3s. Add flaxseeds or oil to your smoothie or top previously cooked vegetables with a splash of flax oil and sea salt.
Rich in immune-boosting allicin, garlic helps to ward off colds and. Note that cooking reduces the. Add garlic to your soups, stews, chili and, combined with chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil and a touch of salt for a delicious hummus.
Kefis is a beverage similar to yogurt but thinner. Kefir, with live cultures, offers immune-boosting health benefits due to its many different strains of beneficial bacteria and yeasts.
The national dish of Korea, kimchi is a spicy condiment that has immune-boosting benefits.
Pumpkin seeds contain plentiful amounts of Omega 3s, along with the essential immune health mineral, zinc. Throw them on top of your salads, grind them and add them to flour for baking, or snack on them as is.
Raw, unsalted walnuts are rich sources of immune-boosting Omega 3 fatty acids. The bitter taste most people attribute to walnuts is actually a sign they have gone rancid. Fresh walnuts have a buttery and delicious taste.
Make Your Lifestyle Eco-Friendly
Decades of wasteful activity has taken a toll on Mother Nature. Each of us can do our part to reduce our carbon footprint and turn the tides. TechSling published an article highlighting steps that all of us can take to love Mother Nature and live an eco-friendly lifestyle.
The seven things you can do to reduce your carbon footprint are:
- Stay aware of your actions Your actions can greatly affect the environment. Be aware of your own actions and understand how your actions can negatively affect the environment.
- Borrow Need something? Consider borrowing instead of purchasing.
- Plant more trees Trees produce fresh air by releasing oxygen into the atmosphere. They help keep the environment cool, helping to reduce the effects of global warming.
- Use cloth bags When going to buy groceries, use cloth bags instead of paper or plastic bags.
- Carpool Carpool whenever possible and save money and the environment.
- Backyard farming If you have the space, treat yourself to a garden and plant a variety of vegetables.
- Alternatives that are environmentally friendly Find alternatives when your shop. For example, buy CFLs instead of the regular tube lights and bulbs. Although a higher initial investment needs to be made, the CFL lights will cut the costs to a much greater extent in the long run and save the energy too.
Small Business Branding Tips
Successful small businesses offer stellar customer experiences that are a result of great branding strategies. Branding isn’t just for big companies with large marketing budgets. It’s just as important for small businesses to ensure that every piece of content they issue reinforces a strong brand.
Check out this list for how some start-ups used branding strategies to compete.
Some top branding tips for startups include:
Logo. Your logo is the most important aspect of your brand. The goal should be to create a subconscious association with your brand.
Core Principles. Successful brands have a set of core principles and brand guidelines.
Trust. This applies to every aspect of a business, especially in online ventures.
Social Media. Lots of brands find that social media offers opportunities to interact with their customers.
7 Unexpected Benefits of Losing Weight
Losing weight is usually the top goal of most folks. In most cases, it’s the result of wanting to “look better”. Here’s a different look at the benefits of losing weight that you might not have thought of in the past that may surprise you! Care2.com published the following benefits:
- Food Actually Tastes Better
- Save Money
- Brain Function Might Improve
- Increase in Energy
- Possibility of getting a Raise or Promotion
- Less Susceptible to Chronic Conditions
These are just some health conditions associated with being overweight or obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Type 2 diabetes
- Heart disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Sleep apnea
- Mental illness
This information is not intended to be exhaustive nor should any discussion or opinions be construed as professional advice. Should you have any questions or would like to discuss your risk exposure with your family’s insurance, please contact the insurance pros at ARCW Insurance. We are here to help.